Scholar-in-Residence Fulbright Program






§ Description and Purpose


The Scholar-in-Residence (SIR) Fulbright program is institution-focused, and supports proposals developed by U.S. institutions.

The SIR Program gives priority to programs developed by Historically Black Colleges and Universities, Hispanic-Serving Institutions, tribal colleges, community colleges, and small liberal-arts institutions in the United States. A U.S. institution can maximize capacity-building by using the Visiting Scholar for work across departments and curricula. This work ranges from teaching undergraduate courses to advising on faculty and curriculum development. 

Through the SIR Program, a participating U.S. institution can establish formal ties to overseas institutions that lead to the development of new international exchange activities.

Taiwan's scholars can participate in the SIR Program by becoming Fulbright Scholars or recommended by CIES from overseas who teach or research at the participating institutions in the United States.

Scholars from Taiwan cannot apply for the positions themselves; rather, they are invited and appointed by the U.S. Department of State through due process.


§ Benefits:(subject to the announcement of the Department of State)

  • 1. Allowance for living expenses (based on the area)
  • 2. Professional allowance for US$750
  • 3. Settlement allowance for US$500
  • 4. Dependents allowance (based on the area)
  • 5. A direct-flight, round-trip economy-class air ticket for grantee and one dependent (Must take US airlines)
  • 6. Grantee’s limited health and medical insurance
  • 7. Other supports provided by the local university/ college (based on the host institution’s proposal)

For further information, please visit:  Interested applicants should also visit Fulbright Taiwan’s website for the application information.

Fulbright Taiwan would like to encourage more American institutions to take advantage of Taiwan scholars in the SIR program, and simultaneously help more Taiwan scholars go to the U.S.

You may have specific contacts in the U.S. You may have specific places you would like to be a SIR. Unfortunately, these schools have to request CIES for a Taiwan scholar. Work with Fulbright Taiwan to contact American institutions to encourage them to request a scholar!

Remember theAmerican institutions have to be in one of the following categories:
· Historically Black Colleges and Universities
· Hispanic-Serving Institutions
· Tribal colleges
· Community colleges
· Small liberal-arts institutions


For updated information, please visit our website ( or contact Ms. Lisa Lin, Tel: (02) 2388-2100 ext. 112; Fax: (02) 2388-2855; E-mail:

Page Top