Awards to Taiwan
English Teaching Flagship Award (ETF)
Description and Purpose
The English Teaching Flagship Award is given to those who are willing and are qualified to be English teachers in Taiwan. The Foundation for Scholarly Exchange (FSE) is cooperating with MOE (Ministry of Education) in Taiwan in order to achieve the goal of becoming a bilingual country by 2030.
We are looking for applicants who are enthusiastic in the field of English Teaching and Education, and have experience in real-life classrooms. We offer a chance to live in Taiwan and experience cultural exchange, bringing your creativity to the students while learning
from Taiwanese educators.
You will be an ETF who works with local teachers, creating an English environment for elementary students and junior high students to learn English and other subjects. By staying in Taiwan and immersing the culture for a full school year, we believe that you will achieve more than expected.
Award Period: 11 months, beginning from August 1, 2023; renewal for an additional year is possible by application.
- Monthly stipend of NT$53,000, which includes a monthly benefit of NT$5,000 for professional development for learning Chinese and relevant education certificates
- Settling-in & Baggage Allowance (A one-time-only allowance): NT$26,000
- Round-trip airfare between Taiwan and the U.S.
- National Health Insurance
- Cooperation with Taiwan’s MOE
- Provision of a strong teaching support system (advisors, workshops, forums, etc.)
- Local Coordinator support system
- Cohort support system
- Networking with Fulbrighters
- Engagement with local communities
- Participation in cultural activities
Nationality: Applicants must be US citizens.
Teaching Experience Requirements (meet one of the following):
- Applicants who have received the Fulbright ETA awards or ETF awards
- Applicants who are currently teaching English in Taiwan or other countries
- Applicants with at least one year of English-teaching experience
- Applicants with a Master’s degree in TEFL or English-teaching related majors
- Applicants selected from the affiliated universities with FSE
Responsibilities & Expectations
ETFs will be placed in elementary schools (G1-G6) or junior high schools (G7-G9).
The Foundation for Scholarly Exchange (FSE) English Teaching Grantees may teach alone or co-teach with Taiwanese teachers in elementary schools, junior high schools, or universities with support from local coordinators and professional advisors. The grantees will be invited to submit their preference for the locations they prefer; they are also welcome to continue their grant at the same site.
- Locations: Taipei, New Taipei, Taichung, Changhua, Yunlin, Kaohsiung, Yilan, Hualien, Taitung, Kinmen, Penghu, Chiayi, Pingtung
- Summer Training: Assisting the training and other support for new ETAs and local teachers in August
- Workshops: For each 18-week semester, each recipient will participate in at least 3 different weekday afternoon workshops and may be invited to share some teaching resources or teaching demonstrations
- Reports: ETFs will submit at least two written reports per semester
- Teaching observations: Will be held at least once a year
- Teaching related projects: These can be team projects or personal projects related to teaching; they may be presented during the English Language Forum
- English/Bilingual teaching Forum: ETFs will be invited to organize training forums and teacher training programs
- Remote service camps: ETFs will be invited to assist and lead the ETAs to organize the content of English/Bilingual Camps in remote areas as community service
- Cultural Events: ETFs will lead and explore the cultural activities in their communities
Learn More About the Process
Apply online no later than February 20, 2023:
- A new “Online Application System” will be launched in December for applicants
Online Interviews: March-April, 2023.
Announcement: April, 2023.
Award Notification: April, 2023.
Visa Application: May, 2023.
Flight Arrangements: June, 2023.