Awards to Taiwan
FSE Mandarin Educator Awards
Description And Purpose
FSE Mandarin Educator Awards provide qualified TCSL educators with the opportunity to serve as TCSL private instructors for the Critical Language Enhancement Award (CLEA) of the US Department of State. Instructors work with Fulbright American Master’s Degree Program grantees, who receive 16 weeks of support for intensive Mandarin study (10 hours per week). As language teaching professional instructors, FSE Mandarin Educators enhance the Master’s Degree Program students’ Mandarin learning through private tutoring and cultural activities. The grant period is 16 weeks, starting from September 1st to December 22nd, 2022. With Selection Committee approval, renewal for a second and final 16 weeks may be considered. Fulbright Foreign Language Teaching Assistant Program (FLTA) alumni are preferred when all factors are equal.
Responsibilities & Expectations
Grants: up to 3 full-time awards (20 hours per week to teach 2 students) or 6 part-time awards (10 hours per week to teach 1 student)
- Locations of American Master’s Degree Program students:
- Taipei: 4 (2 have studied Chinese for more than 2 years; 1 for 1-2 years, 1 beginner)
- New Taipei City: 1 (has studied Chinese for 1-2 years)
- Tainan: 1 (beginner)
- Private Instruction: 10 hours per week for each student, for 16 weeks, from September 1, 2022, to enhance the students’ Chinese proficiency
- Reports: Provide written feedback on the student’s learning performance bi-weekly
- Organize cultural activities to support Mandarin learning
- A fixed sum of NT$256,000 (full-time, teaching 2 students) or NT$128,000 (part-time, teaching 1 student) for 16-week teaching
- An additional allowance of NT$5,000 for organizing cultural activities (reimbursement will be done per request with receipts)
- The grant experience offers close professional interactions with TCSL teachers and local professors: Recipients have opportunities to participate in FSE’s TCSL conferences/ workshops
Applicants with a Bachelor’s (or above) degree and TCSL teaching experience are eligible who:
- currently engage in TCSL instruction in any country, including Taiwan
- are fluent Mandarin speakers
- Fulbright FLTA alumni are preferred when all factors are equal
Learn More About the Process
Interested candidates should submit the following required documents to the Foundation of Scholarly Exchange, through email (email@example.com) dated no later than May 31, 2022. Please attention to Ms. Lisa Lin
Email subject：FSE Mandarin Educator Awards
- A Statement of Purpose and Teaching Planning in Mandarin and English
- Bilingual CV (with your cell phone number or easy-to-be contacted number, and email address)
- Two recommendation letters in English or Mandarin (TCSL and/or academic experience related)
- Academic transcripts and degree certification
The Selection Committee will review all application documents and notify the candidates for an official bilingual interview by email.
Date of Interview: Wednesday, June 15 2022
Some candidates may have online interviews upon special request.
Interview results will be released at the end of June 2022.