Awards to Taiwan
Fulbright Distinguished Award in Teaching Program
Description and Purpose
The Fulbright Distinguished Award in Teaching Research Program (Fulbright DA) provides funding for highly accomplished U.S. primary and secondary level educators to take part in an intensive professional development program for four months in Taiwan.
Grantees will study at a host university or institution in Taiwan and conduct an inquiry project related to their professional interests. Additional activities in local schools include opportunities to observe classes, team teach or conduct seminars or workshops.
- Study and observe international best practices in education
- Share professional expertise with educators and students in Taiwan
- Develop leadership skills and understanding of Taiwan educational policy
- Enhance their ability to work in diverse and multicultural environments
- Integrate international best practices in education in the home country classroom, school and community
- Integrate Inquiry Project findings into the home/ host country classroom or school
- Expand global and intercultural awareness of students and colleagues by sharing their Fulbright experience and infusing their experience into classroom content or curriculum
- Develop partnerships and joint projects with schools and classrooms in Taiwan
The award covers program costs, including transportation, lodging, host institution fees and related expenses. Grantees will attend a mandatory program orientation in Washington, DC in August to help them prepare for their program. While abroad, grantees will receive a maintenance allowance designed to assist with the costs of living during the program. Grantees will have the opportunity to apply for professional development funds to support development and research or to cover the expenses of attending a conference or workshop related to their field of teaching expertise.
The following current full-time educators are eligible to apply:
- elementary through high school teachers
- guidance counselors
- curriculum specialists
- curriculum heads
- Talented and Gifted coordinators
- Special Education coordinators
- media specialists/librarians
To meet the basic eligibility requirements of the program, an applicant must meet all of the following requirements at the time of application:
Hold a Master’s degree (or be enrolled in a Master’s program at the time of application) OR hold a National Board for Professional Teaching Standards Certification
Be employed full-time at an accredited school in the U.S., in a U.S. territory, or on a campus within the Department of Defense Education Activity
For the purpose of determining eligibility, “full-time” refers to applicants who are currently employed full-time by a school or school district. Teachers who hold a combination of part-time jobs which may add up to a full-time equivalent are not eligible
- Spend at least 50% of their time teaching or working directly with primary or secondary level student.
- Demonstrated experience conducting professional development activities
- Demonstrate accomplishment in teaching or having previously received teaching awards or exemplary evaluations
Preference is given to applicants who have not previously participated in the program and to those whose projects will reach under served and/or under resourced populations, as measured by Free and Reduced Meals (FARMS) rates in the U.S.
The deadline of online application for 2023-2024 Fulbright Distinguished Awards in Teaching Program is in March, 2023. For more information, please see the website.
Also, as for the requirements and criteria of DA program application for Taiwan, please refer to the website.
Please contact the International Research & Exchanges Board(IREX) via FulbrightDA@irex.org if you have any questions about the Fulbright Distinguished Awards in Teaching Program for U.S. teachers.
Join the Prestigious Network !
More Information Below
- American Institute in Taiwan (AIT)
- The Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA)
- The Council for International Exchange of Scholars (CIES)
- Institute of International Education (IIE)
- Ministry of Education (MOE)
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA)
- TECRO in the USA
- Arts Residency Network, Ministry of Culture (MOC), Taiwan
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), U.S.
Please contact the International Research & Exchanges Board (IREX) via FulbrightDA@irex.org if you have any questions about the Fulbright Distinguished Awards in Teaching Program for U.S. teachers.
Fulbright Teacher Exchanges