Awards to the U.S.
Fulbright - Taiwan Ministry of Culture, Arts Professionals Grants
Description and Purpose
To support more diverse arts professionals in Taiwan, the Non-Academic Professional Grants- MOC Category has been upgraded by the Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board (FFSB) in Washington D.C. as an independent hyphenated grant since 2022-2023 (application in 2021): Fulbright-Taiwan Ministry of Culture, Arts Professionals Grants. The supported field and total grant amount has been increased as well. It’s expected to support more non-artist arts professionals to exchange experience with American professionals, and be equipped with more cutting edge knowledge.
- Technical Support
- Critical Practices
- A fixed sum of US$4,800 for 3 months
- Research allowance US$4,200 for one time
- Travel allowance: a round-trip, direct flight, economy-basic-class air ticket (up to NT$60,000), and a baggage allowance of NT$20,000. Transfer points will be acceptable only when the total airfare is less than the direct flight or there is no direct flight from Taiwan to the host state.
- Possible placement services by IIE; the service will be based on the research project itself
Prospective Fulbright participants should be aware that public health conditions, availability of consular services and travel,
as well as U.S. institutional operating status and policies may affect their ability to travel to the U.S. and participate in academic programs.
下列人士 符合 資格申請
- Taiwan citizens residing in Taiwan, and currently affiliated with private or public organizations, responsibilities related to the proposed project for at least 5 years
- Are recommended by the highest chief administrator of the home institution. (File the Leave Approval Form, the final page of the application instruction in the section below “Application Procedure”.) If applicants are independent workers, applicants have to ask related arts institution administrators (e.g. Chair of department of fine arts, Director of the art museum) to offer recommendation letters.
- Sufficient English proficiency for successful completion of grant activity. If the applicant plans to take courses in a university, an iBT score report of 80 or IELTS score report of 6.0 should be submitted. If the applicant plans to do research, English proficiency certificate is still required and standardized tests such as iBT, IELTS, TOEIC or GEPT are recommended.
- Sufficient of financial support for the visit plan (including tuition, travel expenses and roughly monthly expenses). Applicants have to provide evidence of financial support from personal savings and/or institutional contributions to cover remaining expenses for the duration of the proposed study/ research.
- Meet the Grant Conditions and Provisions (Eligibility & Visa)
下列人士 不符 資格申請
Are currently teaching, studying, or conducting research in the U.S.
Have received a J-1 visa in the category of Professor/Research Scholar within the past 2 years. They cannot be issued another J-1 visa in the category of Professor/ Research Scholar.
- Candidates are not permitted to pursue degree study during the grant period.
- The duration of grants is for 3 months, though the visa sponsorship could be extended to 12 months. The grants must begin no earlier than August 1, 2023. They must end no later than August 31, 2024. The grant should not be used for different stages.
- After receiving the notification of nomination, the candidate has to provided research summary and topic in Chinese.
- During the grant period, the grantee must submit a research or reflections article to FSE’s Online Journal Research & Reflections
Learn More About the Process
Submit the hard copy of the following required documents to Fulbright Taiwan. (postmarked no later than October 31, 2022)
- Hard copies of your completed on-line application form (filled in English, including application form, project statement, English CV, highest chief administrator approval form, financial statement of other grants/ scholarships which will be used in the same period of Fulbright grant, and passport copy)
- Chinese CV (the translation version of your English CV with your cell phone number and mailing address). We’ll deliver the notification letter via post mail after the nomination list is confirmed.
- 3 English recommendation letters (if your referees do not want to complete recommendation letters online)
The mailing address is:
Foundation for Scholarly Exchange
2nd Fl., 45, Yanping S. Rd., Taipei 100011, Taiwan
Attn. Fulbright Exchange Program (MOC)
The application process has been completed! Wait for the notification letter!
Senior employees (level 9+ in government service) currently affiliated with private or public organizations, or senior independent artists or literary and historical workers – Responsibilities related to the proposed project has to be for at least 5 years (accumulative)
Applicants are not required to submit TOEFL or IELETS score reports if they will not take course in universities. English proficiency statements such as TOEIC, GEPT, etc., or certificate of degree received from foreign universities are acceptable.
Invitation letter is preferred, but not required. It’ll enhance your application if you have. If FSE has not received invitation letters from applicants (issued by the host institutions) six months prior to the start of the grant, applicants need to provide a preference list for IIE to start the placement work.
Our Foundation is in charge of documents required for visa application, including DS-2019, visa fee waiver, and the administrative procedures of visa application. It’s not the host institutions to issue DS-2019s to Fulbright grantees. The policies regarding visa, documents and fee waiver are also applicable to grantees’ dependents (i.e. non-U.S.-citizen spouse and children under 21).
- In the grant period, grantees have to submit at least one research result/reflections report to FSE Online Journal: Reseach & Reflections
- After completion of your grant in the United States, you should return to Taiwan for at least two years before being eligible to apply for temporary worker (H), intracompany transferee (L), fiancé (K) visa, or immigrant visa/lawful permanent resident status (LPR), so called Two-Year Home-Country Physical Presence Requirement under Section 212(e) of the Immigration and Nationality Act. Within the two-year period, the grantees are allowed to apply for tourist visa, student visa, and other non-immigrant-non-employment visa to attend conferences, travel or study in the U.S. This Requirement applies to J-2 dependents as well.
October 31, 2022——Deadline of application
Early December, 2022—A Selection Committee (professional peers from a variety of disciplines and Board members) reviews all documents and research proposals.
Late December, 2022—— The Selection Committee recommends a nominee list to FSE’s Board. Applicants are notified by our Foundation of nomination/non-nomination after the Board meeting.
March, 2023—— Final approval is released from FFSB to our Foundation.
May, 2023——Pre-Departure Orientation
August, 2023——Grant starts (the grant start date is flexible, but it should be between August 1, 2023 to May 31, 2024, and ends no later than August 31, 2024.)
In early December, a Selection Committee (academic peers from a variety of disciplines, Board members, and staff) reviews all documents and research proposals and recommends a slate for final selection by the Board of Fulbright Taiwan.
Applicants are notified by Fulbright Taiwan of nomination/non-nomination after the Board meeting. Their nomination is also sent to J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board (FFSB).
The grant is then subject to:
a. Approval by the J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board (FFSB)
b. Acceptance of the candidate’s research proposal by a U.S. institution
March of the grant year
Final approval is then normally received by Fulbright Taiwan in March and conveyed to grantees as soon as received.
Join the Prestigious Network!
MORE INFORMATION BELOW
- American Institute in Taiwan (AIT)
- The Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA)
- The Council for International Exchange of Scholars (CIES)
- Institute of International Education (IIE)
- Ministry of Education (MOE)
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA)
- TECRO in the USA
- Ministry of Culture (MOC), Taiwan
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (U.S.)
- Fulbright Campus Advisor (FCA) Program