Awards to the U.S.
Fulbright-Formosa Plastics Group Scholarship (Scholars)
Description and Purpose
This grant has two goals:
- To provide scholars with opportunities to conduct in-depth research in academic fields in Early Intervention and Geriatric Health Promotion
- To develop lasting professional contacts at U.S. institutions
- Early Intervention
- Geriatric Health Promotion
Partial Grant (1 award)
- A fixed sum from US$3,600 to US$12,000, prorated over the grant period.
- A research allowance of US$3,000
- Possible placement services by IIE
Applicants are who:
- Have held the rank of assistant professor or assistant research fellow (or its equivalent) or above for at least 3 years, and are currently affiliated with a university or research institution in Taiwan
- Are recommended by the highest chief administrator of the home institution. (File the Leave Approval Form, the last page of the application instruction in the application system.)
- The duration of grants ranges from 3 to 10 months. The grants must begin no earlier than August 1, 2021. They must end no later than August 31, 2022. The grant should not be used in different stages.
- Meet the Grant Conditions and Provisions (Eligibility & Visa)
Applicants are who:
- Are currently teaching, studying, or conducting research in the U.S.
- Have returned to Taiwan from the U.S. less than 3 years from the time of application.
- Have received a J-1 visa in the category of Professor/Research Scholar within the past 2 years. They cannot be issued another J-1 visa in the category of Professor/Research Scholar.
Learn More About the Process
Submit a hard of the following required documents to Fulbright Taiwan, postmarked no later than October 31, 2020.
- Hard copies of your completed on-line application form (filled in English, including application form, project statement, English CV, highest chief administrator approval form, financial statement of other grants/ scholarships which will be used in the same period of Fulbright grant, and passport copy)
- Chinese CV (the translation version of your English CV with your cell phone number and mailing address. We’ll deliver the notification letter via post mail after the nomination list is confirmed.)
- 3 English recommendation letters (if your referees do not want to complete recommendation letters online)
The mailing address is: 2nd Fl., 45, Yanping S. Rd., Taipei 10043, Taiwan
TO: Fulbright Exchange Program (Fulbright-Formosa Plastics Group Scholarship, for Senior Scholar)
The application process has been completed! Wait for the notification letter!
Applicants are not required to submit TOFEL or IELTS score reports if they will not take courses in universities. English proficiency statements such as TOEIC, GEPT, etc., or certificate of degree received from foreign universities are acceptable.
The application results will not be affected if the applicants do not submit invitations in the application process. However, applicants need to specify their preferred institutions for the Selection Committee’s reference. After receiving notification letters in December, nominees should start to communicate with the potential host institutions and negotiate with them based on their academic needs. If FSE has not received invitation letters from applicants (issued by the host institutions) six months prior to the start of the grant, applicants need to provide a preference list for IIE to start the placement work.
FSE is in charge of documents required for visa application, including DS-2019, visa fee waiver, and the administrative procedures of visa application. It is not the host institution’s responsibility to issue DS-2019s to Fulbright grantees.
The policies regarding visa, documents and fee waiver are also applicable to grantees’ dependents (i.e. non-U.S.-citizen spouse and children under 21).
1) During the grant period, grantees have to submit at least one research result/reflections report to FSE’s Online Journal (in Chinese or English)
2) After completion of your grant in the United States, you should return to Taiwan for at least two years before being eligible to apply for temporary worker (H), intracompany transferee (L), fiancé (K) visa, or immigrant visa/lawful permanent resident status (LPR), so called Two-Year Home-Country Physical Presence Requirement under Section 212(e) of the Immigration and Nationality Act. Within the two-year period, the grantees are allowed to apply for tourist visa, student visa, and other non-immigrant- non-employment visa to attend conferences, travel or study in the U.S. This Requirement applies to J-2 dependents as well.
October 31, 2019——Deadline of application
Early December, 2019——A Selection Committee (academic peers from a variety of disciplines and Board members) reviews all documents and research proposals.
Late December, 2019—— The Selection Committee recommends a nominee list to FSE’s Board. Applicants are notified by our Foundation of nomination/non-nomination after the Board meeting.
March, 2020——Final approval is released from FFSB to our Foundation.
May, 2020——Pre-Departure Orientation
August, 2020——Grant starts (the grant start date is flexible but no later than June 1, 2021)
In early December
In early December, a Selection Committee (academic peers from a variety of disciplines, Board members, and staff) reviews all documents and research proposals and recommends a slate for final selection by Fulbright Taiwan’s Board.
End of December
Applicants are notified by Fulbright Taiwan of nomination/non-nomination by the end of December after the Board meeting. Their nomination is also sent to J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board (FFSB).
The grant is then subject to:
- Approval by the J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board (FFSB)
- Acceptance of the candidate’s research proposal by a U.S. institution
April of the grant year
Final approval is then normally received by Fulbright Taiwan in April and conveyed to grantees as soon as received.
Join the Prestigious Network !
More Information Below
- American Institute in Taiwan (AIT)
- The Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA)
- The Council for International Exchange of Scholars (CIES)
- Institute of International Education (IIE)
- Ministry of Education (MOE)
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA)
- TECO in the USA
- Arts Residency Network, Ministry of Culture (MOC), Taiwan
- Tourism Bureau, Republic of China (Taiwan)